Friday 12 July 2024

A couple of coincidences


These are notes of a couple of coincidences I experienced in 2020 which have been sitting in my file ever since.  I offer them diffidently, on the assumption that some people will find them about as interesting as hearing someone else’s dream.  On the other hand, while they probably have no significance, they still leave me with a feeling they might point to something deeper I cannot quite put my finger on (the reason I noted them).

 

1 Cause Célèbre

On the evening of Friday 24 April 2020, I sat down with my wife to watch the 1987 Anglia Television adaptation of Terence Rattigan’s final play Cause Célèbre, starring Helen Mirren, Harry Andrews and David Morrissey as Alma Rattenbury, her husband Francis, and her young lover George Bowman respectively.  The play is based on the real-life murder at Bournemouth in 1935 of Alma’s elderly husband and the subsequent trial of Alma Rattenbury and George Stoner (presumably the name change to Bowman was because Stoner was still alive in 1987) at the Old Bailey.

While I was putting the DVD into the player I mentioned I was familiar with the case from a true crime volume, and said, disregarding spoilers, that the husband was attacked by the lover when Alma and her husband were walking along a suburban road and the young man jumped out from behind a hedge, bludgeoning him.  As we watched the programme it was clear this was not how the murder happened: George creeps into the downstairs bedroom of ‘Rats’, as Alma calls her husband, and whacks him several times with a mallet, cracking his skull.  Clearly, I had been confusing it with another case, but a search the following morning did not throw up what it was.

A few hours later I was reading the Daily Telegraph’s Saturday review section and turned to Simon Heffer’s ‘Hinterland’ column.  He writes about aspects of British culture and generally has something interesting to say.  To my surprise his subject was a 1934 novel by F Tennyson Jesse, A Pin to See the Peepshow, a fictionalised retelling of the Thompson/Bywaters murder case at Ilford in 1922.  Although Heffer does not refer to the manner of the murder, the mention of Thompson was enough to remind me this was the case I had had in mind the previous evening.  Edith Thompson had an affair with the lodger, Frederick Bywaters.  One night, while Edith and her husband Percy were walking home, Frederick jumped out from some bushes and stabbed Percy several times, fatally injuring him.

There were similarities in the Thompson and Rattenbury cases: an affair between a married woman and a younger man leading to violence against the husband, though whereas in the latter Alma was acquitted (shortly afterwards committing suicide) and George’s capital sentence was commuted to a prison term, both Edith and Frederick were hanged.  This was clearly a miscarriage of justice as there was no evidence Edith was complicit in the death of her husband.  Perhaps the more lenient judicial outcome for Alma and George 13 years later – the court of public opinion was another matter – was influenced by the earlier verdict.  I had wrongly recalled that Percy Thompson was bludgeoned, as Francis Rattenbury was, because he was stabbed; I had clearly conflated the two murders.

This was a minor coincidence to be sure, but it seemed odd to have the reference I had been seeking fall into my lap with no effort after having failed to track it down a mere couple of hours before.  They are both fairly well-known true-crime cases of course, but Heffer ranges widely over British culture, and there were many topics he could have addressed other than A Pin to See the Peepshow.  However, another echo on Sunday 26 April, when I heard about a multiple stabbing in Ilford, indicated the need for caution when assessing events with so many potential associations.

Then to my surprise the following month the Rattenbury murder popped up again, with no effort on my part to seek it out.  The excellent Strange Histories blog (subtitled ‘A walk on the weird side of history’), which I follow, published a lengthy post on 25 May 2020 titled ‘A Moment of Madness: Murder at the Villa Madeira’.  This recounted the background, murder and aftermath in some detail, highlighting the complexities of the confessions which raise doubts over who actually killed Francis Rattenbury.  A comment remarking it would make a good film elicited the reply that Cause Célèbre was based on the case.  This is the sort of story Strange Histories would cover so its inclusion was not surprising, but it felt noteworthy coming so shortly after what was already a coincidence relating to the Rattenbury case.

But it was not the last time it crossed my horizon during those weeks.  On 1 July I received an email from a Sean O’Connor about a particular topic he was working on with which he thought I could assist (it became the 2022 book The Haunting of Borley Rectory).  Not knowing the name, I looked him up and discovered he was the author of the 2019 non-fiction book The Fatal Passion of Alma Rattenbury, and in the foreword he refers to the Edith Thompson trial.  By now of course I was picking up on any mention of these cases, whereas at one time they would perhaps have passed by little noticed (leaving aside my general interest in true crime), but it still seems strange to come across so many references over so short a period.

 

2 ESP in Life and Lab

If anything, this was odder.  I was reading Louisa E Rhine’s 1967 ESP in Life and Lab:Tracing Hidden Channels, a book mixing anecdotal evidence sent by members of the public and the results of laboratory research into psi processes.  One of the anecdotes (pp. 192-4) was about a dream a woman had had.  In it she came upon a house, inside which she could see a room set up for what looked like a wedding breakfast, although there were no people around.  A few weeks later she and her husband were invited to a meal to celebrate his having achieved 25 years with his company (something neither had realised was imminent until he was told).

The meal took place at a new inn they had never been to before.  Although reluctant to go, it proved to be a very enjoyable lunch.  The writer said they married during the Depression and did not have much of a celebration, so this felt more like her wedding than the real one had.  When they entered the dining room, she had a feeling she had been in it before, and after she returned home she realised the room was the one in her dream though reversed, as in the dream she was looking in from the outside, hence she had not immediately recognised it.

Now, quite often dates are not given in these accounts; the year is mentioned, sometimes the month, but precise dates are infrequent, probably a function of the delay between having the experience and writing the report.  In this case, however, the precise date is supplied.  The date of the dream, which the dreamer took to represent a room where a wedding was to take place, was 7 March 1953.  That was the very day my parents married in south London.  There is no doubt about the date of the dream because the dreamer wrote her account straight away.

This was one of many reports in the extensive Rhine collection that could have been used to illustrate the point being made, and one of the few in the book with a precise date.  To then find the reference to a wedding has a date which tallies with an event of personal significance (albeit occurring before my time!) seems remarkable.  There would have been few things linking a middle-class couple in Virginia and a working-class couple in Camberwell, but here a dream provided a connection only appreciated 67 years later.  I should add the reason I am sure of the date of my parents’ wedding is because I was born on their wedding anniversary.

 

I have had a couple of other experiences, as recounted in the Autumn/Winter 1996 issue of However Improbable, the magazine of the long-gone Anglia Paranormal Research Group.  In the first of these, when I was a student, I was hitchhiking with a girlfriend to Greece and we met some college acquaintances, also hitch-hiking, on a minor road somewhere in Yugoslavia (also long gone).  In the second, while on a family holiday from Norfolk, we bumped into my young daughter’s best friend from home in Carlisle railway station.

These are incidents in life that seem to have no great meaning (though I was happy to have my idle curiosity about English domestic murder satisfied in such an easy fashion by Mr Heffer) but they catch our attention.  Similar anecdotes can be told by many people, the sort of thing that makes one wonder about the interconnectedness of life no explanations couched in terms of the law of large numbers can quite satisfy.